FAQ: Flatbed Truck Driving
Insights to Flatbed Trucking
Pros And Cons
There is a lot to consider when exploring the world of flatbed trucking. Here is a quick run-down.
- You’re not just driving! You’ll be outside securing loads and being more active.
- You’re moving around, lifting tarps, doing extensive safety checks and getting your hands dirty on a daily basis.
- You’ll be fully trained to handle all the requirements of driving a flatbed, and we’ll even pay you for it.
- There is a high level of pride in flatbed driving. After all, your load is out there for everyone to see as you’re going down the road. Other drivers will be able to check out your work, and judge for themselves your level of pride and knowledge.
- Each job is a bit of a unique adventure! You’ll be hauling different materials all the time and need to understand and respond to the different requirements.
- Your body may ache a bit after lifting heavy tarps and equipment needed to safely drive flatbed. This job isn’t for anyone who doesn’t want to move!
- You may get a little dirty … but if you’re up for it, it’s much more rewarding than sitting in a cab all day.
- Safety is paramount in flatbed driving! You must fully understand how to secure loads with absolute precision to keep yourself and those around you safe.
- The weather can get bad, and you need to be outside in it to do your job. If you hate being out in extreme weather, you may want to reconsider your interest in flatbed.
Driving a flatbed truck is a different adventure every day! You don’t just sit and drive. Flatbed drivers are moving around, lifting tarps, securing loads and getting a little dirty.
Benefits for Modular’s drivers are second to none! We offer a huge range of benefits, from 100% paid family insurance premiums (no weekly deductions from your paycheck) and excellent home time, to lots of vacation time, bonus pay and extras like 401K, life insurance, legal help and so much more! See all benefits >
Yes. All flatbed and end-dump drivers at Modular Transportation are required to have a valid, Class-A CDL. See all requirements >
Local drivers in our 4 hubs can expect to be home every night! Although, on occasion, it may be every-other night.
Regional OTR drivers can expect to be home every weekend. We’ll pre-load you on Friday and you’ll know where you need to be on Monday morning.
We do our best to keep you working efficiently! More on home time >
Modular Transportation’s fleet has late-model trucks that are kept in tip-top shape by expert mechanics to be sure drivers stay rolling down the road with as few issues as possible.
Flatbed and end dump trailers are our lifeline and we always ensure they are maintained to the highest standards for safety and ease-of-use.
Modular Transportation takes care of our drivers like family! From 24/7 dispatch, safety and garage connections, to a direct line to HR and recruiting, we know your name and do our absolute best to make sure you have what you need. Driver support resources >
Generally speaking, flatbed driving affects your family in the same way that any CDL trucking job does. However, flatbed drivers at Modular Transportation can expect to be home regularly! We also offer great benefits for your entire family. Learn more >